Thursday 13 November 2014

The Initial Research


Ernest Haeckle

I first looked at Ernst Haeckle because I believed he would be a good starting point in for this project. Haeckle was a biologist and artist who illustrated thousands of biomorphic creatures for diagrams after he'd discovered them. Mostly these were sea creatures, insects and cells. Although he mostly used oil paints to create his illustrations, I copied his works in a range of mediums including pencil crayons, water colours, pen and then digitally by drawing a section of it by hand before scanning in then copy & completing it on Photoshop. I think this research helped me in finding patterns and shapes in nature which I could then develop, I could also use Photoshop techniques later on in the project to create similar images.












Chad Wasser

(chadwasser.com)

Chad Wasser also creates biomophic art of very similar things to Ernst Haeckle for example, sea life. He also creates bacteria, organic forms and petri dish inspired images by combining ink splats with pen. This makes his work abstract and it becomes more of an art piece compared to Haeckle's scientific diagrams.

I used the same process of splatting vibrant ink colours onto paper before going over it with a fine liner, adding on similar marks to Wasser's works.



Nerve Cell print

May Van Millingen

(mayvanmillingen.com)

May Van Millingen has created these biomorphic form illustrations based on old scientific diagrams, perhaps even Ernst Haeckle's. She first draws in fine liner before applying bright, well considered colours digitally. I decided to use her style on some sea creatures that Haeckle has drawn. I first traced his work and then went over in black fine liner, adding in similar detail to Millingen. I then scanned these drawings in and added colour, sampled from her works, on Photoshop. I was really happy with how they turned out and thought they held a similar quality. I decided that some of these could be turned into patterns by repeating the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment